My Etsy

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Create with Confidence

I am the world's worst at sabotaging myself. I think I have this great idea, I want to run full pelt with it ... and then it hits me ... nobody is going to like it, everyone can do it better than me, they'll think I'm stupid, that I have no taste ... and this list goes on. Before I even get my paint brush out, or I've knitted something, I'm already doomed! It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've been this way for years, I knock myself back so many times that its suprising how much I've achieved in my life.

I worked in the media for years when I was younger and everyone thought I was confident, knew what I was doing. I once heard someone say "who is that girl, she walks in here like she owns the place". What happened to that confident person that I once was.

When I lived in the UK I taught karate to a very high level, I coached people of national and international standards, I even competed for the GB team in my day and entered European and World Championships. I was pretty good, even if I do say so myself. So why, when I'm doing something I love (i.e. creating something) do I second guess myself to the point of not wanting to show anyone what I've done.

My beautiful daughter, Bronte, is honest to a fault, she'll tell me when she doesn't like something and if she says she likes it then I know its pretty good. Megan, my darling youngest, on the other hand is a little cheerleader "Wow mama, that's great!" or "you're such a good artist mama.". Ha ha, she could make a career out of building people up and cheering them on.

What are your tips for building up your self confidence when you are creating? I'd love to hear them.




No comments:

Post a Comment