My Etsy

Tuesday, January 19, 2010


Valentine's day is fast approaching and I wanted to create some cards that I look for in the store, but can never find. My family aren't really in to the "hearts and flowers" type of cards, occasionally I'll find a funny one that makes me laugh, but they never really say what I want them to say. So this year I decided to make my own.

Taking inspiration from my eldest dancing around the kitchen and my youngest's never-ending sing-song (even though the lyrics not always right - she gets that from her dad!), I decided to make some lyric inspired cards.

I started off with Lady Gaga. Love her or hate her, you can't get away from the fact that she took the world by storm last year. Her songs get stuck in people's heads - I've heard kids as young as three singing along to Paparazzi and Seniors singing the chorus of Poker Face!

Then it was on to The Beatles - I really should have started with them first as their songs have some of the best known lyrics in the world and they have inspired so many musicians, its impossible to count.

I could go on for years just trawling through The Beatles songs for inspiration but I wanted to pick this one really caught my eye.

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you.
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new.
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I love you more.
- - -Beatles "In My Life"

Words like this, when you read them without the music behind them, are so beautiful. Who would have thought that a couple of "scallies" from Liverpool (my home town) could write with such feeling.

2 comments:

  1. saw the Lady Gaga card in your Etsy shop...it's genius!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much. I have my daughter, Bronte, to thank for that one

    ReplyDelete